Canadians love their pumpkin pie. In fact, more than half feel a Thanksgiving meal isn’t complete until pumpkin pie is on the table. In addition, more than three quarters of those who think they won’t enjoy a slice say they’d re-try it if a friend made it for them. These facts combined make it clear that Thanksgiving is the perfect time of year to bake and serve this Turkey Day staple.
If you’re looking for the perfect pumpkin pie to impress family and friends, try this rich and creamy recipe.
Carnation Classic Pumpkin Pie
Makes: 8 servings
• 1 can (354 mL) Carnation regular or 2% evaporated milk
• 1 pastry for 10-inch (25 cm) single-crust pie
• 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) pumpkin pureé
• 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Robin Hood original all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground nutmeg
• 1/4 (1 mL) ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). On floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness.
2. Fit pastry into 10-inch (25 cm) pie plate; press into bottom and up sides of plate. Trim overhang and flute edges.
3. Whisk together pumpkin purée, sugar, eggs, flour, spices, and salt in large bowl until smooth and well combined; gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Fill pie shell with evaporated milk mixture. Bake in bottom third of oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Let cool completely on rack.
Tip: Pies can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
Find more great recipes at www.carnationmilk.ca.